WELCOME TO THE ROPEWALK MUSEUM WEBSITE
Heritage Open Days 2017
PRESERVING HALL’S BARTON ROPERY
The Ropewalk Museum pays tribute to the history of the rope making factory, Hall’s Barton Ropery, dates back to between 1800 and 1803 with the building of a “modern” rope works, including the characteristic “walk”” on the site after Thomas Hall and his son William purchased land on the east side of Barton Haven.
The foundation of the Hall-Mark company itself dates back to 1767 when the Halls, a wealthy ship-owning family from Hull, first became involved in rope making in Barton.
The Ropewalk Museum is part of The Ropewalk arts centre which is housed in the Grade II listed building which stretches a quarter of a mile along the length of Barton Haven. Now an Accredited Museum it contains displays, artifacts and other memorabilia associated with the history of the factory and its workforce.
Some of the artefacts on display and in store were rescued when Hall’s Barton Ropery closed for the final time in 1989 while others were donated by former employees and their families.
Open: Mon – Sat 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sundays & Bank Holidays: 10.00am – 4.00pm